Thursday, September 26, 2013

Review: The Mourning After by Adriane Leigh







Haunted by a painful past, Georgia Montgomery escapes the memories by buying a beach house on the North Carolina coast. She hopes a summer filled with sun, sand, margaritas and best friends will heal her, but when an unexpected visitor shows up, her past, present and future collide.

Georgia is instantly drawn to Tristan Howell, the pleasure-seeking playboy with an easy smile and eyes the deepest shade of green she's ever seen. She tries to deny the depth of her feelings for him, but just like an addiction-one look, one touch, one taste is never enough. Tristan shows her pleasure the likes of which she's never known, and in the process she loses control of the lonely world she's constructed for herself and learns that moving forward isn't possible while she's still chained to the events of her past.

Before the summer is over friendships will be tested, hearts shattered and lives changed, and waiting for Georgia to find herself may destroy them all.

For mature audiences.


Julie says:

“The Mourning After” is a book that really pulled me in.  I admit that I wasn’t sure about it at first but it really changed my mind.  Georgia was so lost but seemed to find herself. 

Georgia Montgomery has left her home in Washington where she has lived with Kyle since college.  Kyle came into her life when she was twelve after tragedy struck her life.  She didn’t speak for a long time and he seemed to pull her out of herself.  She felt safe with him and thought that he was truly who she belonged with.  But because of his career, he was never home and she was left alon

                “Kyle was my comfort, my home.” – Georgia

So, she decides to buy a beach house in North Carolina and brings her best friends Drew and Silas.  Much to Georgia’s surprise, Drew has a boyfriend named Gavin and wants to bring him along.  Tristan, Gavin’s best friend, decides to come along with them so they can help renovate the house and enjoy their summer.

Tristan is a typical player.  Never in a relationship, only out for something quick and easy.  He didn’t realize that when he came to the beach house, he could actually feel something for someone.  Boy, do things change!

The longer Georgia is away from Kyle, the more she is attracted to Tristan.  But, she has her secrets that only Kyle knows and she feels so damaged. She can’t seem to escape the awful nightmares that plague her every night.
                            
  “Tristan, I don’t deserve you.  I’m broken.” – Georgia

Tristan and Georgia have that sexual chemistry that will definitely keep you interested. I was hooked but also just wanted to tell her to make up her mind if she wanted Kyle or Tristan.  Kyle may be safe but Tristan rocked her world.  He was determined to have her.

            “You just need to say the word, Georgia, and I’ll show you how good it can be.  I can make you forget him.  I can make you forget everything if you just let me.” – Tristan

Even the little things in this book I enjoyed.  I loved their early morning chats drinking coffee before everyone else got up.  He wanted to keep her safe from her nightmares but she knows she has to open up to him.   Then, a storm comes through and they have to leave their beach house for safer shelter.  Georgia goes back to DC to Kyle and finds out life is not as perfect as she thinks.  Let me tell you, I was surprised at the real Kyle too!!!  She feels lost and the only place that has made her happy is in North Carolina.  Can she find Tristan or does he want to be found?  The ending really surprised me and was certainly not what I was expecting but I am so happy in the end.  I give this 4.5 stars and am on the lookout for more of their story!! 






Adriane Leigh was born and raised in a snowbank in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and now lives amongst the sand dunes of the Lake Michigan lakeshore.

She graduated with a Literature degree but never particularly enjoyed reading Shakespeare or Chaucer.

Adriane is married to a tall, dark and handsome guy, plays mama to two sweet baby girls, and is a voracious reader and knitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment