Monday, May 27, 2013

Review: Ties That Bond by Merilyn Dignum



Blurb:

At a very early age Mia developed abilities that allow her to channel her emotions through touch. These abilities have helped her survive on the streets where she has been on the run and living off the grid since she was twelve. Her sister who is still living with an Aunt is the only contact she maintains with what she calls ‘normal life’. Their lives are polar opposites.

At seventeen Mia stumbles on a small group who survive underground by doing jobs for ‘clients’ from all walks of life. She now finally feels like she belongs somewhere. Life finally looks good. That is until the group takes in a new member and trouble arrives soon after.

Leary says:

An amazing first book for this new author. I am not going to go into much detail about the story since I don’t want to spoil anything. If you know me, you know that I love a good paranormal romance story. Ties That Bond was a little different than the normal paranormal stories; vampires, werewolves, angels, aliens, etc. The story is about a young girl, Mia, who at the age of twelve was put into the system because her Aunt couldn’t control her but kept her ‘normal’ sister. Mia developed abilities at a young age that through her touch she could inflict her emotions onto others. Throughout the years of going in and out of foster homes Mia found herself in bad situations with the foster families and had to use her abilities to get out. At seventeen Mia found her saving grace in a group of men that live underground that have decided to welcome her into their family.

What I loved in this book is the dynamic in this group. Each member has different reasons for living off the grid and they all have different talents, although none are like Mia, that they contribute to the team in order to complete jobs for their various clients. Throughout the story you are able to see how they have all formed a strong bond and would do anything to help protect each other.

As I said, I really enjoy paranormal romances and there is some romance in the book but it is not the main focus of the story. I loved the little glimpses that we got of the relationship that was building. We are able to see the bond that is forming between the two and how devoted they are quickly becoming to each other. This was a great debut story. I thought the plot was well thought out and it was certainly different than any of the other paranormal stories that I have read. I highly recommend this book to anyone that enjoys paranormal stories especially ones outside of the typical vampire/werewolf realm.

I can’t wait to see what is next from this author!


Author Links:


Bio:

The 'Ties That Bond" was great fun to write with characters that jumped from the page demanding attention. It seems they are not finished with me yet and I have to admit I've grown very attached to them. I am now concentrating on a new story, a second 'Ties' book.
I live in South Australia with my husband and 2 Great Danes.

No comments:

Post a Comment