Monday, June 10, 2013

Review:Delayed Penalty by Shey Stahl


Amazon Buy Link

Blurb:

I am Evan Masen, a hockey player for the NHL. I spend my nights roughing up two hundred pound defensemen and spend more time in the penalty box than I do on the ice. 

That’s my job. 

One night changes everything I thought I once knew about my life on the ice. 

A girl. 

A brutally beaten girl left to die in an alley.

I don’t know why or how but something made me stay that night after taking her to the hospital. I didn’t know her, nor did I have an obligation to stay but something inside of me rooted me there telling me I should. 

And I wouldn’t have been me if I just simply left her there. 

Any man who could put his heart and soul into a game of hockey couldn’t just walk away when someone needed them. She had no one else. 

The same guy who saw determination where there was desire, now saw hope where there was once despair.
I couldn’t just leave as that wasn’t a man that put all he had into something some called just a game. I couldn’t walk away from someone holding onto life, weak and powerless to something she had no control over.

So I stayed. In a room full of family members praying for their loved ones to come through, I prayed for a girl I didn’t know, never met before, to have a beating heart. While others sorrows turned to grieving pain, I sat waiting on the words of the unknown.

Alexis says:

Every so often there is a book that comes along and just blows you away, “Delayed Penalty” did just that.  Ultimately, this book is about two strangers brought together by an awful tragedy that shapes their lives forever.

“From the moment I found you, I was never going anywhere again without you.” -Evan

Evan (Mase) is a defenseman for the Chicago Blackhawks with a heart of gold. His compassion and love for friends and family and his willingness to stick up for them is what makes him who he is. After winning a game, he stumbles upon Ami in an alley badly beaten and raped and ultimately saves her.  Right from the start, he finds himself attached to her even though he doesn’t know her.  Throughout the book, you realize that not only was Ami a victim but that Evan too was a victim.  He was the one who saved her and found her the way she was.  Because of it, his view towards women seemed to change for the better.  Not that he was ever a real womanizer but he paid extra attention to the way women were treated by his other teammates.  For me, Evan was the real heart of the book.

“I was meant to save her, and I was meant to fall in love with her, and this girl was the reason my life had the directions it had.” –Evan

Ami just moved to Chicago after losing her family and started working at the Chicago Ballet.  She ends being a victim to a heinous crime and ends up hospitalized.  Once she wakes up from her coma she meets the man who saved her that awful night.  Ami was such a strong heroine in my eyes.  She not only had to deal with the emotional and physical scars of her attack but also losing her family at such a young age.  Ami is not the type of person to let her attack define her. 

“Evan, my all heart and soul knight in shining armor defenseman took me in, saved my life when I had no one left, and showed me a love I’d never in my life imagined feeling.” -Ami

I simply loved the book and how it showed that fate has a funny way of sneaking up on you in the most unlikely circumstances.  I loved the supporting characters as well, and cannot wait to read the next book in the series. 

4.5 stars!

Author Links

Bio:

Suspenseful romance writer. Author of the Racing on the Edge Series. Published titles include Happy Hour, Trading Paint, Black Flag and The Champion. The Legend is scheduled to be released December 24, 2012.

When she's not writing, Shey Stahl can be found at the local dirt tracks in Washington watching her favorite sport, racing.

Check out her facebook page for pictures related to the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment