Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Review: In Too Deep by Brandy Rivers



Blurb:

Fallon is a brilliant tattoo artist with inherent magic. Tired of men and their games, she climbs onto her Harley and leaves her old life behind.

Brody is a talented motorcycle mechanic and werewolf stuck in his painful past. It's just another depressing night until he's attacked by vampires. Thinking he killed them, he runs into the night and crashes into Fallon.

Unwilling to walk away from anyone in need, she heals Brody and then takes out the vampires who aren't as dead as he thought. Her past collides with the present, and she finds herself stranded in Edenton, Washington where an old friend lives. With no ride and no real plan, she winds up staying in Brody's empty apartment.

Feeling alive for the first time in years, Brody is determined to claim Fallon's heart and keep her safe from the shadows in her past. However, she prides herself on her independence and would rather keep him safe, even from herself.

With the impending danger from the group of vampires and dark mages, they will have to work together. The closer they get, the harder it is for her to fight her attraction.
Be prepared for monsters, magic and lots of ink.

Leary says:

In Too Deep is the first book in the Other of Edenton series. This is a paranormal book that vampires, werewolves, other were animals (weretiger, etc.), druids, and other magical beings. I have found that in most paranormal series the first book tells a lot of history to set up the whole series and it usually takes me at least a third of the book for me to really get into it. In Too Deep is not one of those books. We don’t hear much about the history of all these paranormal beings the author dove right into the story about Fallon (a druid) and Brody (a werewolf).

We are introduced to Brody and Fallon when Brody is in a hurry running from two vampires that attacked him and runs directly into Fallon on her motorcycle. Fallon was using her druid magic to turn out her headlights and quiet her motorcycle to avoid being pulled over again. Fallon immediately feels a connection to Brody while she is working to save him from the vampires but she can’t explain why she feels such a strong pull to Brody. While Fallon is using her magic Brody is enthralled with her and feels a strange completeness he hasn’t felt for years.

Fallon has wasted two years of her life on her loser ex who is a weretiger and believes she has been the problem in all her relationships and tries to push Brody away before her heart is involved. Not only do Fallon and Brody have to worry about the vampires that are hunting them but they also have to overcome the obstacle of obsessive exes. Will Brody breakdown the wall that Fallon is trying to build or will Fallon successfully keep her heart safe?

I enjoyed the story and I thought that the series was set up nicely through this first story. There were times when I felt that the story was rushed. I would have liked to read more about how someone becomes a were animal and how someone has all these magical abilities. I think that skipping over the history completely took away the background knowledge of how this whole fantasy world was created and how these characters came about. I know that vampires and werewolves are very common in the fantasy story world but I would have preferred to learn more about how they all came to be through the authors eyes.

What is unique about this story is that we get POVs from almost every character that is introduced. I thought it was beneficial to get these POVs since each characters has different abilities and it also gets us more aware of the character for the subsequent stories. I did enjoy the story but I would have preferred a more background detail. We do get some steamy scenes!!


Author Links


Bio:

I've always loved books, especially about monsters and magic, so I started writing. I'm working on a prequel and the next few books in the Others of Edenton series, and I have a head full of stories to share.

I'm a stay at home mother with a wonderful husband who lets me write and write to my hearts content.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great story! I definitely recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise there will be more werewolf lore in the next. The focus is on Jess and Slater ;)

    ReplyDelete